After graduating from the University of Illinois with a degree in Finance, Ben became a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). He then went on to receive his Juris Doctor degree from IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law. At that same institution he became an Adjunct Professor, where he taught Employee Benefits Law for four years while simultaneously becoming a top regional instructor for the Becker CPA Review course.
Previously a senior associate in the Chicago office of Baker & McKenzie, Ben left in 2003 to start his own legal practice. He quickly became a highly respected attorney in Illinois, being named “Super Lawyer” in the Elder Law category for 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
Ben is an active member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) and a member of the board of directors for the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education. He has also been admitted to the Bar of the United States Supreme Court, membership in the DuPage County Estate Planning Council, Illinois State Bar Association, and Elmhurst Chamber of Commerce.
Ben is a frequent speaker and writer to audiences of professionals in the legal, financial and healthcare fields, as well as families seeking information about planning and longterm health care issues. Because he is one of the few Elder Law attorney’s in Illinois that holds a CPA, he brings a unique perspective and skill set to his law practice.
When Ben isn’t practicing law he is busy helping his wife Barbara’s Roller Derby business along with trying to get his pre-teen boys to stop playing video games and texting their friends. Ben is also a couple of years into his late-in-life in-line speed skating career, where despite being on “speed” skates, he can only go as fast as the middle of the pack during his summer marathon race tours.
- Elder Law
- Long-Term Health Care and Medicaid Planning
- Estate Planning, including Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney for Healthcare and Property, and much more
- Tax planning
- Probate proceedings
- Residential Real Estate
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Consumer Bankruptcy
Associate, Baker & McKenzie
- Negotiation, design, implementation, and operation of benefit and compensation arrangements for clients’ domestic and international operations
- Advising multinational corporations extending their equity-based plans to domestic and international employees
- Assisting businesses with employee benefits issues in mergers and acquisitions
- Negotiation and drafting of employment and change-in-controlagreements for executives
- Representation of clients before the IRS regarding plan qualification, deduction, and other tax issues
Legal Manager, HPL&S Inc.
Arlington Heights, IL
- Drafted, designed, and filed hundreds of qualified plans with the IRS
- Wrote documentation, submitted applications, and conducted negotiations for Prohibited Transaction Exemptions and Advisory Opinion Letters with the U.S. Department of Labor
- Representation of clients undergoing Internal Revenue Service and U.S. Department of Labor audits
- Performed annual administration accounting on qualified plans
Chicago-Kent College of Law, Adjunct Professor
- Designed and taught Employee Benefits Law class
Becker CPA Review, Instructor
Des Plaines, IL
- Instructor for the Law and Pension Accounting portions of CPA Review Course
- Second highest rated instructor in Illinois, Spring 1997
- Top 15% of instructors in USA
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago, ILJuris Doctor, June 1994
- Certified Public Accountant, May 1991
- University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, ILBachelor of Science, Finance, May 1991
- Member of the Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States of America, April 2009
- Member of the Bar of the United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2003
- Member of the Bar of the State of Illinois, 1994
- College of DuPage Paralegal Program Advisory Council, 2007-2009
- American Association of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants, 2008-2009
- Board of Directors, Bensenville Home Society, “Lifelink” 2008-2009
- Board of Directors, Ray Graham Association for People with Disabilities, 2006-2009
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, 2003-2010? Fall 2007 Institute Planning Committee? Telephonic Education Committee, 2006-2007? Illinois Chapter Treasurer, 2007-2010? Chair, 2009 & 2010 Unprogram
- Oak Park Township Senior Services Committee, 2006-2007
- DuPage County Senior Services Commission Health Committee 2004-2005
- DuPage County Estate Planning Council Member, 2007-2010
- DuPage County Bar Association 2003-2010? Estate Planning Committee, 2003-2010? Real Estate Law Committee, 2003-2005
- Chicago Bar Association 1995-2005? Employee Benefits Law Committee, 1995-2002, Chairman 1999-2000? Elder Law Committee, 2003-2005? Trust and Estates Committee, 2003-2005
- Board Member, American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries, Benefits Council of Chicago, 1999-2002
- Park District of Oak Park Infrastructure Committee, 2000-2001
To speak with Ben, call 630-782-1766.